Having an Easter meal with relatives is an essential tradition, and here we’ve got just the perfect side dish for the event – creamy, cheesy, delicately flavoured potato bake!
Whatever seasoned meat you’ll have as a main dish, this potato bake is a perfect accompaniment. It looks fancy but is actually easy to make, not to mention a nice change from the usual mashed potatoes.
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 onion, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 475 ml milk
- 170 g shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Butter a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- In the prepared dish, layer half of the potatoes, onions and the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and salt, stirring constantly with a whisk for around one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes and then cover the dish with lightly oiled aluminium foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes until until top is golden brown.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.