Bacon and Chicken Caesar Salad Recipe
Italian-American restaurateur Caesar Cardini created the caesar salad using a collection of left-over ingredients at his restaurant in Tijuana Mexico. Caesar opened the restaurant in Mexico for Americans wishing to avoid the restrictions of prohibition. The original Caesar salad, made from Romaine, garlic, croutons, parmesan cheese, boiled eggs, olive oil and Worcestershire Sauce was an immediate hit and has gone on to become an international sensation.
Tip: Partially freeze bacon before cooking for extra crisp, free flowing pieces.
- Saute pan
- Slotted spoon
- Knife and Chopping board
- Salad spinner or colander
- Mandolin for slicing onion and shaving cheese
- Stick blender or egg beater
- Mixing jug
- Draining plate lined with paper towels
- Extra paper towels
- Salad bowl to serve
- 4 rashers of bacon, partially frozen
- 2 chicken breast fillets cut into 1cm thick pieces
- 4 slices of thick white bread, cut into cubes
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1 cos lettuce
- ½ spanish onion very finely sliced
- 1 c Caesar salad dressing (recipe included)
- ½ c freshly shaved parmesan
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 c light olive oil
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Chicken: Add oil to saute pan and heat. Add chicken pieces and saute until cooked through and still tender. Remove from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Bacon Bits: Slice or cut partially frozen bacon into squares. Sprinkle bacon with pepper. Heat pan to medium and add bacon, cooking until pieces are crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- Croutons: Add bread pieces to the pan and cook until crisp, moving croutons around the pan as they cook. Remove and set aside.
- Eggs: Wipe oil from pan with a paper towel and add water to about 4cm deep. Bring water to a gentle simmer and add very fresh eggs slowly one at a time. Cook until egg whites are firm and yolks runny then remove with slotted spoon. Rest on paper plate for a moment before setting aside on plate.
- Salad assembly: Remove lettuce leaves from stalk, wash and spin, or drain in colander. Arrange lettuce leaves with onion and dressing in salad bowl. Top with grilled chicken and bacon. Gently sit poached egg on top and sprinkle with croutons and shaved parmesan.
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and blend well.
Optional: Prepare your caesar salad as a meal for four in individual bowls.