Perfect for children’s birthdays!
You can’t make a list of dessert recipes for kids without this old favourite. Cupcakes suit every special occasions, especially children’s birthdays, and are also perfect for brightening up ordinary days. Though you can make various designs with cupcakes, nothing beats classic chocolate and vanilla cupcakes. No matter the current trend, this combination just never seems to go out of style.
- 95 g plain flour
- 30 g cocoa
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 80 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Sift flour, cocoa, caster sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Make a small well in the centre and add the remaining ingredients.
- Beat on low speed using an electric mixer until just combined.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into a 12-hole muffin tray until half full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Yield: 1 cup
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 280 g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, beat together all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Leave at room temperature before using.