We show you 4 simple ideas from the one cookie dough recipe so you can follow our tips and hints before easily decorating them with royal icing, creating your own artistic finishing touches.
We adore the delicate and buttery goodness of simple sugar cookies and they couldn’t be more versatile! Great for Christmas gifting, edible tree decorations or left out for Santa on his Christmas Eve run, they are fun to make and delicious to eat.
Step by step method:
- Mix together your ingredients to create your dough
- Divide and wrap the dough then chill for 2 hours (or overnight) until firm
- Flour your surface, roll out your dough then cut the desired shapes
- Using a skewer or small round object, create holes for your string
- Bake until fragrant and golden
- Cool completely on a cake rack before decorating
- Decorate with royal icing
- Begin your gifting!
Gift Idea 1: Ornaments
Gift Idea 2: Wrapping decoration
Gift Idea 3: Cookie Jar
Gift Idea 4: Santa’s treat
Try adding a dash of peppermint flavouring to your royal icing mix for a taste of Christmas. Sugar Cookies can last up to 2-4 weeks in an airtight container. Try sealing cookies individually in cellophane bags, tied with a colourful ribbon. When presented in jars these sugar cookies will last for up to 4 weeks. Use these gifting ideas with ginger bread cookies for a longer shelf life of 4-6 weeks.