A festive French inspired recipe you’ll be serving up this Christmas!
- 3kg ham (approximate weight)
- 1 large onion
- 30 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 250ml fresh orange juice
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 200g baby carrots
- 200ml water
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried French tarragon
- Allow 20 minutes cooking time per 500g. Place in a 29cm Le Creuset Oval Casserole.
- Stud the onion with 10 of the cloves, and then add it to the casserole, together with the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Fill up with water to just cover the ham. Bring to the boil on the stovetop, and then reduce the heat and simmer covered for the calculated time.
- Lift the ham out and remove the rind, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat into a diamond pattern and press a clove into the centre of each diamond shape.
- To make the glaze, place the sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Bring it to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until a dark sticky glaze forms.
- Add the cranberries. Spoon the glaze over the ham and bake for about 25 minutes at 180ºC until the gammon is golden.
- To make the honeyed carrots, put the carrots and water into a small pot. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for about 10–15 minutes or until the carrots are cooked but still crisp.
- Drain off the excess water. Add the butter, honey and French tarragon, allowing the honey-and-butter mixture to caramelise for a few minutes and swirling the pot to cover the carrots.
- Serve the cranberry glazed gammon with the honeyed carrots.