Donuts are always a favourite, whether coated in cinnamon sugar, glazed or decoratively iced. Making donuts is easy and fun with a deep fryer from Kitchen Warehouse. A thermostat controlled deep fryer safely heats and keeps the oil at the right temperature, ensuring it doesn’t splatter or interact with other materials. Use this favourite donut recipe to impress your family and friends. Purchase a deep fryer online now, or use a high sided saucepan to heat the oil over the stove with a thermometer from Kitchen Warehouse for an accurate temperature guide.
- Deep Fryer or
- High Sided saucepan and Thermometer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spoonula
- Egg separator
- Proving bowl
- Baking tray for cinnamon sugar mixture
- Cooking tray
- Tongs for serving
- 2 x Pastry cutters (8cm and 3.3cm or similar ratio)
- 3 ¼ c plain flour
- ¼ c caster sugar
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1 c warmed milk
- 100g melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- Oil for frying (canola or sunflower)
- One cup of sugar and 2 tsps of ground cinnamon combined
- Whisk flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well and mix in warmed milk, melted butter and egg yolks until dough starts to come together.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured board and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl and cover. Leave to prove for 1 ½ hours, until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Roll dough to 1 cm thick and rest for 2 minutes.
- Cut out discs with large cutter then cut out inner holes with small cutter.
- Place discs on baking tray lined with baking paper and set aside for 15 minutes to rise slightly.
- Place cinnamon and sugar mixture on large tray or baking dish.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 180°C or in saucepan using a thermometer to check temperature.
- When deep fryer light indicates ready, or thermometer reaches 180°C, add 4 -5 doughnuts for 40 seconds each, until puffed and golden.
- Remove doughnuts from oil with tongs or slotted spoon and place directly in cinnamon sugar. Turn to coat.
- Repeat for 3 more batches, then enjoy!