This Festive Christmas Gingerbread is a great recipe to make with the kids! Easy-to-follow, fun to decorate and delicious to eat, this is bound to go over well with your excited little ones!
It is ready to eat in a little over an hour and can make up to 20 cookies (depending on the size of your cookie cutters). Your kids (and let’s be honest, you too) will love the creativity you get to employ when decorating the cookies. Limited only by your imagination, you can stick to a couple of icing colours to bring these quirky sweet treats to life or you could really change it up and include chocolate smarties and other confectionery items to take your gingerbread creations to the next level.
Bundle a few together and tie them together with some ribbon and you have a great gift idea too!
Christmas Gingerbread Recipe
SERVINGS: 15 – 20 (depending on cutter size)
PREP TIME: 60 Minutes
COOK TIME: 10 Minutes
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375 g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour, plus a little extra to dust
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 150 g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
- Red liquid food colouring, 8 – 10 drops
- Green liquid food colouring, 8 – 10 drops
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease 2 baking trays with melted butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric beater until pale and creamy.
- Add in golden syrup and egg yolk and continue beating until combined.
- Stir in flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate soda.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Press dough into a circular shape, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place egg in a clean bowl and beat with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Divide icing between 3 bowls and cover 1 bowl with cling wrap and place in the fridge.
- With the other 2 bowls, add red colouring to 1 and stir to combine and then do the same to the other bowl with the green icing.
- Cover both bowls with plastic and place in fridge.
- After 30 minutes has elapsed, remove gingerbread dough from fridge and place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out to approximately 4mm thickness.
- Use a ginger bread man cutter, Christmas tree cutter and star cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place on to trays making sure to leave a 3cm gap between each cut out.
- Repeat until all dough has been used.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Place prepared icings into icing bags and pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate.
- Allow another 15 minutes for icing to set before serving.
Try this yummy recipe for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below!