There are so many chocolate mud cake recipes floating around the internet and in cookbooks, but it’s rare to see one so easy to follow and that uses the simplest ingredients, such as this one. This recipe features a chocolate mud cake with a dense texture, that’s fudgy, rich and – what’s more – delicious.
This professional-quality cake can be topped with slices of strawberries, shredded chocolate or whatever it is that your heart desires. Furthermore, just like wine, the longer this cake keeps, the better it tastes.
This recipe features a chocolate mud cake with a dense texture, that’s fudgy, rich and – what’s more – delicious.
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 105 Minutes
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 200 g dark chocolate (for the ganache)
- 250 ml cream (for the ganache)
- 330 ml cups water
- 1 tsp espresso coffee
- 110 g plain flour
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, add butter, dark chocolate, caster sugar, water and instant coffee and melt over low heat.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flours and cocoa.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture and beat gently. Add the eggs and mix gently.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin. Bake at 150 C for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the ganache, combine dark chocolate and cream in a heat-resistant bowl.
- Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature until thickened to a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the ganache over the cooled cake.