Tis’ the season to enjoy these delicious Christmas Cinnamon Cookies! Festive, fun and oh-so-yummy, this batch of cookies will excite and tantalise your taste buds with its cinnamon infused shortbread base topped off with lemon-tinged icing!
With their charming design, these cookies would make a lovely little gift for someone! Bundle 4 or 5 together, tie with some red ribbon and voilà, you have a tasty, thoughtful and festive way to show someone you care this Christmas!
The recipe makes approximately 25 cookies (dependant on the size star cutter you use) and takes just 15-20 minutes to bake.
Christmas Cinnamon Cookies!
SERVINGS: Approx 25
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 15-20 Minutes
- Melted butter, to grease
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour plus a little extra to dust
- 2/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 225 g cold butter, coarsely chopped
- For icing, 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 150°C and brush 2 large baking trays with melted butter.
- Combine the flour, rice flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll dough out until 1cm thick and then use a star pastry cutter to cut shapes from dough.
- Place cut outs on prepared trays and back in oven for 15-20 minutes, making sure to swap trays halfway through cooking or until biscuits starts to change colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for an hour.
- Meanwhile, for the icing lightly whisk egg white and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Gradually add in icing sugar whisking until smooth and combined.
- Once cookies have cooled, dip them on one side in the icing and place on a plate.
- Repeat with all cookies and the place in fridge for 15 – 20 minutes to allow icing to set.
Try this classic Christmas recipe for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below!