We ask 10 outstanding food bloggers to share recipes they learnt from the significant mother in their lives. Katherine Beresford of KB Sugarfree’s favourite childhood recipe was Mum’s Carbonara Pasta. Following in her Mum’s footsteps, Katherine has recreated it gluten, dairy and sugar free with her own delicious Vegan White Sauce made from cashew parmesan, coconut milk and potato starch.
- Garlic press
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon or silicone spatula
- Deep frypan or shallow casserole
- Serving platter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3tbsp extraordinary foods cashew parmesan
- LOTS of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup white sauce
- 1/4 cup water or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup kale, shredded
- 1 zucchini, spiralised
- Cashew parmesan to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until transparent.
- Reduce heat and add potato starch, whisk and continue to whisk for about a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup coconut milk at a time, stirring continuously. Only add two cups to pan, save the other cup for the blender.
- When there are no lumps in the pan, turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Then add mixture to a blender, add cashew parmesan and blend until well combined. continue to add remainder of coconut milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your sauce is complete, sauté garlic and red onion in a pan in a new, clean pan. Cook the mushrooms until brown, then cook kale until wilted.
- Add through 1/4 white sauce and either 1/4 cup water or coconut milk.
- Once well combined, add spiralled zucchini for only a few minutes, or if you want a crunchy ‘pasta’, don’t cook zucchini at all (or blanch super quick in boiling water!).
- Combine all together on a large serving plate, pictured with Ecology Artisan range.