Aside from the legendary Anzac biscuits, another treat that Aussies can enjoy on Anzac Day is a good old-fashioned lime tart. The light, fresh and zesty flavours are guaranteed to give everyone a good mood. Ready in just an hour and a half, this dessert is perfect for those who are entertaining friends or family on this holiday.
Made from simple ingredients like rolled oats, golden syrup and flour coconut, you don’t have to go too far to start whipping up this sumptuous Anzac lime tart!
PREP TIME: 75 Minutes
COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
- 90 g white sugar*
- 85 g flour
- 60 g rolled oats
- 30 g desiccated coconut
- 400 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 125 ml lime juice
- 125 ml melted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsps golden syrup
- 2 tsps lime rind
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl.
- Mix melted butter, baking soda and golden syrup in another bowl.
- Combine the two mixtures together. Stir thoroughly.
- Grease a glass pie plate lightly.
- Press the mixture evenly into the dish, making sure the bottom and sides are equally filled.
- Mix condensed milk, beaten egg yolks, lime juice and rind. Beat with an electric or stand mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Pour this to the pie shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Chill for an hour or longer, then serve.
- *You can choose to not add sugar altogether if you prefer a light tart – the coconut and milk are already naturally sweet
- You can substitute lime rind with lemon rind
- When baking, make sure that the top of the tart does not turn brown – this signifies overcooking
- You can garnish the top of the tart with meringue, whipping cream, or fresh herbs like mint
- Make sure that you use oven-safe ” target=”_blank”>glassware when baking
Did you love this recipe? Check out these other posts related to celebrating Anzac Day! 🙂
What is ANZAC Day?
Anzac Biscuit Recipe Variations
Traditional Anzac Biscuits