Get down and dirty with the bold and unmistakable flavours of authentic Argentinian street food by treating yourself to delicious barbecue, chimichurri and empanadas.
Perth restaurateurs Emily and Max from El Asador, famed for their irresistible and unique food offerings, visited the Kitchen Warehouse family farm to recreate an authentic South American Asado, cooking on the farm’s built-in Argentinian grill sharing their secrets to making meals perfect celebrating any occasion with family and friends.
- KitchenAid Artisan Mixer KSM150 Empire Red
- Sunbeam Deep Fryer
- Sunbeam SecretChef Sear and Slow Cooker 5.5L
- 350g plain flour
- 350g SR flour
- 140g butter or lard
- 5g salt
- 5g yeast
- 400ml lukewarm water
- Greaseproof paper
- Mix flour and salt in KitchenAid with the dough hook (follow same instructions by hand).
- Add butter or lard. Emily says you can use 50/50 of these.
- Add yeast to warm water and slowly add to the bowl, stirring as you go.
- Once a dough has formed, knead and then allow to rest and rise for 20 minutes.
- Make 2 large balls with the dough and flatten slightly into a disc. Attach KitchenAid Pasta attachment for lasagne and roll through approx 3 times. Starting at number 1 and moving to number 2 thickness. This can also be done with a rolling pin.
- Lay on a floured surface and cut round disc. You can also use a tortilla press.
- Stack between greaseproof paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place one tablespoon of filling in the middle of each disc. This will vary with the size of the empanada but don’t overfill.
- To seal the empanada, moisten the edge of dough with a little water.
- Fold over in a half-moon shape and pinch the edges together.
- Each flavour has its own seal. Refer to the video for a few examples.
- Deep fry until golden and serve with Chimichurri.
MOZZARELLA, TOMATO & BASIL FILLING
- 200g grated mozzarella
- 2 tomatoes (chopped and deseeded)
- 30g of fresh basil (chopped)
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 glove garlic crushed
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ chilli powder
- 1tbls dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup pitted olives
- 3 eggs hard-boiled and diced
- Fry off onion in a pan with a small amount of oil. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, chilli powder and oregano, parsley and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beef, tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finish off by stirring through eggs, olives and season with salt and pepper.