Home made corn tortillas teamed with a richly flavoured slow cooked pulled pork is about as close as you can get to Mexican street food without leaving Australia.
Once you try these, you’ll have a hard time going back to store-bought taco kits. Making your own tortillas using a traditional cast iron tortilla press is extremely satisfying.
Creating the tortillas is as simple as making the dough, shaping it into balls and then using the press to to flatten and cook them.
- 2x cups Masa Harina
- Very warm water
- Place Masa Harina in a large bowl adding a touch of salt and mix well.
- Add the water slowly kneading as you add the water.
- Keep kneading until nice and pliable. If dough feels too dry, add more water.
Pressing the Tortillas
- Prepare the press with 2 sheets of freezer bag plastic.
- Make a ball the size of a plum. Place the Masa ball in the centre and place another plastic sheet on top. Close the tortillas press, pressing gently down.
Cooking the Tortillas
- Peel the uncooked tortilla carefully, resting on half of your hand and the other half dangling down. Lay the tortilla on the hot grill.
- Start pressing the next tortilla.
- Go back to the tortilla that is cooking and flip 3 times (every 20 seconds).
- Remove the cooked tortilla from the hot pan and wrap in a tea towel to keep warm.
- Repeat process.
This recipe for pulled pork is packed with flavour and you will be surprised just how far the pork goes. There are also plenty of ways to use it other than making tacos. To be honest, it even tastes delicious served on its own.
- Leg of Pork or Pork Butt
- 500mls Beef stock
- 1x can of beer
- 1x small can of Chipotles in Adobo
- 1x 800g can Crush Tomatoes
- 1x large onion
- 2x cloves of garlic
- 3 tbls white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Chilli Sauce
- Add tomatoes, chilli chipotles, onion, garlic, vinegar and beer to the Vitamix and blend well. Set aside.
- Place pork in the slow cooker.
- Add the chilli sauce and the beef stock making sure the pork is well covered.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4-6 hrs on low heat.
- 4x Jalapeño chiles
- 3x tomatoes
- 1x clove of garlic
- ¼ of onion
- Coriander for garnish
- Salt and Pepper
- On a flat pan at medium heat place all ingredients and roast slowly, turning them as needed.
- Once all ingredients are nice and roasted add them to the Vitamix and blend.
- Transfer to a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.