Easy, 20 minutes, Serves 8
A basic sponge cake that is moist, light and fluffy.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease 2 x 20cm-round cake tins and line the bases with non-stick baking paper
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs in a large bowl for 5 mins, until thick, pale and increased in volume. Add sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition
- Beat in vanilla
- Sift flour over egg mixture. Using a large metal spoon or rubber spatula, fold in until combined, taking care not to lose volume.
- Divide evenly between prepared tins.
- Bake for 18-20 mins, until the cakes spring back to a light touch in the centre
- Allow time to cool
- Prepare with whipped cream and jam, or a filling of your choice