In this guest post, Jody Vassallo shares a delicious black sesame porridge recipe from her new book The Yogic Kitchen. A perfect breakfast treat for four, this nourishing recipe of oats and tahini will warm you up on a cold winter morning.
Jody has been a prolific food writer and stylist for the past 20 years. From her work with Donna Hay, Jamie Oliver, Bill Granger, Marie Claire magazine, and numerous others, it wouldn’t be a surprise if you’ve come across at least one of her books.
Also a health and nutrition advocate, Jody aims to complement good food with the ancient Indian practice of Ayurveda. In The Yogic Kitchen, Jody shows us how to use food in ways that heal and nourish inside and out.
Join our workshop The Yogic Kitchen and meet Jody in-store to learn more about her fabulous book and insights on healthing eating the Ayurvedic way.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring jug
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Cereal or soup bowls, for serving
- 1 cup steel cut oats (160 g), soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 tbsp black tahini
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1½ cups (375ml) unhomogenised organic milk or coconut milk
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp finely sliced ginger
- 2 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Rinse and drain the oats and place in a saucepan with the black tahini, salt, and milk.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the oats are soft.
- Stir in the sugar and ginger to combine.
- Serve the porridge in bowls then top each with goji berries, seeds, and ghee.
Recipe and images are adapted from Jody Vassallo’s book The Yogic Kitchen.