Easy, 3hrs 30 mins
Classy Recipe and also most people who don’t like traditional trifle go mad for this.;Best made the day/evening before required and topped with whipped cream on easter morning! By Charlotte Parnell
- 1 passionfruit
- 1-2 Jam Sponge Rolls (depending on size of roll and of your trifle bowl)
- A festive amount Cointreau
- Goodly amount sliced strawberries and other soft fruit (Mangoes, Berries etc., tinned Peaches also work well)
- Enough home made custard to make a 3cm layer of custard in your trifle bowl (store bought custard isn’t thick enough & isn’t tasty enough)
- Whipped cream to top
- Chopped/slivered nuts for the top if desired. Cherries are also optional
- Slice jam sponge rolls into 2cm thick slices and fit into bottom of trifle dish.
- I pack the slices in fairly tightly but keep each slice whole.
- Sprinkle with a festive amount of Cointreau and leave to soak whilst making the jelly.
- Make jelly as per packet instructions and leave aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place sliced soft fruit on top of the cake slices in the trifle bowl.
- Pour over still warm jelly to cover the fruit and cake. Refrigerate until set.
- When jelly is set, make custard, ensuring a thick consistency.
- Cool cooked custard over an ice bowl and then place enough to add 3cm of height to the set jelly mix.
- Top with at least 2cm of whipped cream and nuts/cherries as desired.