Let the gang relax and enjoy everything an Aussie backyard Christmas has to offer, with this butterflied BBQ paprika chicken recipe.
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- chargrilled lemon slices, to serve
- rosemary sprigs, to serve
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use kitchen scissors to cut along each side of the backbone to remove.
- Face the chicken breast-side up. Press down on the breastbone to flatten. Use a large sharp knife to cut 3 shallow slits in each chicken breast and thigh.
- Add the combined paprika, garlic, chopped rosemary, oregano, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice in a large glass or ceramic dish. Stir to combine. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to develop the flavours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a chargrill pan on medium. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook on the grill for 10 mins each side. Move to the oven. Roast for 30 mins or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 mins to rest. Serve with chargrilled lemon and rosemary sprigs.
TIP: Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 mins to rest. Serve with chargrilled lemon and rosemary sprigs.
Liked this Butterflied BBQ Paprika Chicken recipe? Then you’ll love these side options: