Your complete camping checklist awaits. Quickly prioritise which cooking gear to take with you and plan ahead to enjoy hearty, balanced meals even in remote areas.
You know the drill. You pack the car, drive out to a stunning yet wild part of the country only to realise you’ve forgotten the eggs. But how? You were so prepared!
Or… you have the other extreme. You pack plenty of food but none of it works well together, so you end up with meals that are either missing key ingredients or are far from satisfying.
Since many of us at Kitchen Warehouse love going away on camping trips, we can completely relate.
So, to ease the burden of packing not just your kitchenware but your food too, we’ve put together this essential camping checklist – you’ll notice the kitchenware we’ve selected match up with the meal ideas and recipes we’ve included so you’re not wasting valuable packing space with bulky ‘just in case’ pieces.
Time to raid the cupboards! These are your essentials for the trip ahead.
Missing anything? Shop the checklist by clicking on the items above – we’ve included only the pieces our team members swear by!
Meal Ideas & Recipes
You know you need some basics like bread and milk but what meals should you actually make while you’re there? Peanut butter on toast gets boring after night three, we promise! Here’s some inspiration and a couple of recipes to get you started.
- French toast with bananas and maple syrup
- Sausage and bacon breakfast sandwich
- Cast iron omelette with spinach
- Easy breakfast burritos
- Chorizo and sweet potato hash
Recipe: Easy Breakfast Burrito
HINT: Use a cast iron reversible grill to cook flour tortillas for a perfect seared finish.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 can mixed beans, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pot or skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and chopped capsicum and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, chickpeas and beans into the pot or skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. The flavours get better the longer you cook.
- Using a cast iron grill, place your flour tortillas over a high heat for 45 seconds then flip and cook the other side for another 45 seconds. If you don’t have a grill, empty the bean mixture from your cast iron skillet into a container and use the skillet to cook your tortillas.
- Load up your tortilla with beans, avocado, coriander, fresh tomatoes, bacon, egg or anything else you fancy.
- Vegemite and grilled cheese sandwich
- Quesadillas with avocado and sweet potato
- Trail mix with an assortment of nuts and seeds
- Baked potato topped with tuna
Recipe: Spicy Trail Mix
HINT: Make it before you leave for one less thing to think about while you’re away.
- ¾ cup seeds, assorted
- 1 cup nuts, assorted
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, toss to combine then spread ingredients evenly on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for approx 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Dutch oven chilli con carne
- Chicken and pineapple skewers
- Cauliflower mac and cheese
- Fish tacos with lime
- Cast iron campfire nachos
- Chocolate s’mores skillet
Recipe: Chocolate S’mores Skillet
HINT: Grab an extra packet of Granita biscuits to serve, or dive right in with a spoon!
- 1 pkt Granita biscuits, crushed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 300g milk or dark chocolate
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a 20cm cast iron skillet, combine crushed biscuits and butter. Press down with a spatula.
- Add a layer of broken up chocolate.
- Place marshmallows on top and cook until they are soft and gooey. Approx 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place on a folded tea towel or heat mat to protect tabletops.
- Serve with extra Granita biscuits.
Don’t play the guessing game when you hit the shops, bookmark this grocery list to camp in comfort. We’ve even included the core ingredients from our recipes to make life easier!
- Unsalted butter
- Pasta / rice
- Can of chickpeas
- Can of mixed beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Tinned tuna
- Tinned pineapple
- Nuts & seeds
- Fresh fruit
- Corn on the cob
- Sausages / bacon
- Sandwich meat
- Lean beef mince
- Chicken breasts
- Tea & coffee
- Block of chocolate
- Mini marshmallows
- Granita biscuits
- Maple syrup
- Hash browns
- Cooking oil
- Herbs & spices
- Salt & pepper
- Aluminium foil
- Dish soap
- Rubbish bags
- Paper towels
Use this list in its entirety or springboard off it and add your own preferences. Either way, you certainly won’t go hungry!