Not only is Carbonara delicious, this meal is also budget friendly and on the table in 25 minutes, so you can relax and get set for the weekend sooner!
- 500g spaghetti
- 1tbs eextra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 150g piece pancetta, rind removed, finely chopped
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 40g (1/2 cup) grated parmesan
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 125ml (1/2 cup) cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and pancetta, and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until both are light golden. Discard garlic and remove pan from heat.
- Whisk eggs, parmesan and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper in a bowl (don’t add salt as cooking water as pancetta are salty). Add reserved hot cooking water and whisk until well combined.
- Return frying pan to medium heat. Working quickly, add hot pasta and toss for 2 minutes or until well coated with oil and pancetta.
- Remove pan from heat, add egg mixture, then toss for 1 minute or until egg mixture is creamy and warmed through (the heat from the pasta and pan will cook and slightly thicken the egg mixture without scrambling it).
- Divide carbonara among plates and scatter with extra parmesan. Serve immediately.