Hearty meals can be quick. This chicken pilaf cooks in under an hour in one pot to boot! It’s the perfect dish to warm you up during cool autumn nights.
Incorporating herbs and spices from all over the world, this chicken pilaf is full of exciting flavours and wonderful textures, with rice, nuts, and fresh pomegranate. The Greek yogurt also adds a cool, tart, and creamy element to this one-pot wonder. You’ll be making this chicken pilaf so often, you’ll probably add your name to the recipe.
- Le Creuset Signature Round French Oven 24cm
- Olive oil sprayer
- Nut grinder
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 40g salted butter
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp allspice berries, finely crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 tsp sumac or ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Handful of sultanas
- Large handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 250g basmati rice, soaked for an hour
- Handful each of parsley, dill, and mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Greek-style yogurt, to serve
- 1 pomegranate, seeded to garnish
- 20g pistachios, crushed to garnish
- Place the French oven over a low heat then melt the butter with a splash of oil.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt then sprinkle in the allspice and cinnamon. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Season the chicken legs with salt and cover generously with sumac (or rub with half a lemon) and chilli flakes. Increase the heat to medium then add the chicken to the onions.
- Fry the chicken legs on both sides until they begin to colour. Don’t let the onions burn.
- Stir in the sultanas and walnuts. Drain the rice then add it to the pan.
- Season with salt. Pour boiling water from a kettle until the water comes 2cm above the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to low and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat to rest for 10 minutes, then check if the chicken is cooked. If not, return to the heat to cook or put in a hot oven for a few minutes.
- Use a fork to separate the rice and stir through the chopped herbs.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and pistachios and serve with the Greek yogurt.
Recipe was adapted from Le Creuset