As winter approaches our thoughts turn to hearty, healthy soups like this tasty, wholesome chicken soup made with a favourite Kitchen Warehouse recipe which can be enjoyed as a chunky chicken soup, chicken broth or pureed using a stick blender for a smooth result with ultimate convenience. Shop online for a reliable thermos flask to keep your soup hot for 12 hours, making lunch a meal to look forward to.
- Stick blender or potato masher (optional)
- Bowl for liquid
- Large saucepan
- Slotted spoon
- Chopping board
- 4 c cooked or raw chicken pieces
- 3 rashers bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 swede
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 6 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 600ml chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel and dice potatoes, carrot, swede and finely chop garlic, onion and celery.
- Heat oil in saucepan and add bacon, onion, garlic and crushed peppercorns and fry for 3 minutes until onion is clear.
- Add chicken pieces and saute for 3 minutes, turning occasionally with slotted spoon.
- Add chopped vegetables, and salt saute for a further 3 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add stock and bring to boil. Add herb bouquet and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- For chunky chicken soup, remove herb bouquet and serve as is!
- For pureed soup remove herb bouquet, drain soup through colander into bowl, retaining liquid. Return solids to pot and puree with stick blender or potato masher.
- Gradually add liquid, stirring to combine until desired consistency has been reached. For more liquid add more stock or water.
- For chicken broth, drain soup and return liquid to pot. Reheat gently, without bringing to boil and serve.
Freeze any left-over liquid to use as stock. Enjoy with some homemade bread made in a bread maker from Kitchen Warehouse or try one of our traditional bread recipes.
On a related note: