Perform some wok magic with this tasty stir fry.
A tasty chicken stir fry is made in stages, cooking ingredients individually to ensure the smoky flavour is imbued throughout the meal. Once you have tried this stir fry, experiment with vegetable, meat and sauces to add your own touch to any stir-fry. Kitchen Warehouse have a variety of woks that will suit your kitchen, including flat bottomed for cooking directly onto the cooktop and induction compatible.
- Knife and board
- Measuring spoons
- Garlic crusher
- Vegetable chopper
- Dish with lid for marinating chicken
- Small bowl
- 350g chicken breast, diced
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ¾ cornflour (use cornflour made from corn not maise eg White Wings brand)
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed
- 170g button mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- ½ small jicama, diced (optional)
- ½ c diced celery
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small red capsicum, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 c toasted cashew nuts
Serve with white rice.
In a medium bowl, combine cubed chicken with 2 tsp oil, soy sauce, rice wine, white pepper, sugar, salt, and cornflour and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator 5 minutes before cooking. Add 2 tsp oil to the wok and heat on high until smoking. Add chicken and spread it out with a spatula so that all pieces are in contact with the wok. Cook for about 1 minute without stirring until chicken is slightly browned on bottom. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring regularly until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another 2 tsp of oil to the wok and heat over high heat until smoking. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes until mushrooms release liquid. Season with salt. Continue to stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the liquid evaporates. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 more tsp oil to the wok and heat over high heat until smoking. Add jicama, celery, and zucchini and cook, stirring, until jicama has browned slightly.
- Add another 2 tsp of oil to the wok and heat over high heat until smoking. Add red capsicum, season with salt and cook until slightly tender.
- Return the mushrooms to the wok and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return chicken to the wok and stir well. Stir sauce, then pour into wok. Continue stirring and cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Turn the flame off. Add ¾ cup of toasted cashews, stir, then transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle remaining cashews on top and serve immediately with rice on the side.
Recipe from seriouseats.com