Craving for a delicious beef stir fry? Give this popular Chinese favourite a go. It’s sweet, spiced, and perfect over steamed rice.
This recipe is perfect for sharing with six people. The beauty of this beef stir fry is that you can substitute or add various vegetables like cauliflower or green beans. You can also add thinly sliced carrots and red capsicums for colour.
- Digital scale
- Measuring jug
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Rasp grater
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowls
- Slotted and kitchen spoons
- 680g beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
- 65g white sugar
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 30ml frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1½ tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp sriracha hot chili sauce
- 30g cornstarch
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Broccoli florets, lightly steamed or blanched
- Place the beef strips on a baking tray lined with paper towels.
- Let dry in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, rice wine vinegar, orange juice concentrate, marmalade, salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- Coat dried beef in cornstarch and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shake off excess cornstarch.
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry beef in small batches until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Drain the oil from the wok, leaving out about 1 tablespoon.
- Add orange zest, ginger, and garlic to the remaining oil and cook briefly until fragrant.
- Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef strips and heat through, stirring continuously.
- Serve over steamed jasmine rice. Garnish with steamed broccoli florets.
Meatless stir fries are just as delicious. Try this garlic vegetable stir-fry recipe!