Image credit: flickr.com
This Chocolate Caramel Slice recipe is one kids and adults will enjoy alike. A fantastic combination of biscuit, thick caramel and delicious chocolate, it really is the trifecta of dessert slices!
The trick to pulling this recipe off, is to make sure you give the base, the caramel and the chocolate time to cool properly before moving on to the next stage. Fantastic to serve for morning or afternoon tea, this recipe makes 16 slice portions!
Chocolate Caramel Slice
- 185g butter, at room temperature plus extra to grease
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- Can of sweetened condensed milk (395 g)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 150 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Brush a square 20 cm cake pan with butter to grease and then line the base and two opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang on the sides.
- Use an electric beater to beat the sugar and 125 g of the butter in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the flour and beat until just combined and then use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a ball.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Use the back of a metal spoon to gently press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned then remove and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a small non-stick saucepan, place the sweetened condensed milk, golden syrup and 40 g of butter over a medium heat stirring constantly for 5 – 8 minutes or until mixture has thickened to a caramel colour.
- Remove from heat and pour the hot caramel over the biscuit base and smooth the surface, then set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Place the chocolate and remaining butter in a small heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a small saucepan of barely simmering water on low heat making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Using a dry metal spoon stir chocolate and butter gently for two minutes or until chocolate melts and is smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture evenly over the caramel and smooth the surface with a knife.
- Place in fridge to cool for 10 minutes or until chocolate sets and then cut into 16 pieces and serve.
Try this chocolate caramel slice recipe for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below.