Soup is one of the greatest comfort foods of all time. When it’s time to curl up on the couch, nobody really feels like slaving over a hot stove to create a nourishing meal. But this comforting chorizo minestrone soup can be made in minutes.
For the most basic soup imaginable, simply chop whatever vegetables you have got, add some stock, grab your blitzer and at the push of a button, you’re ready to kick back and relax with a bowl of steaming hot goodness.
HINT: With any soup you make, you will discover the overall result is reflected in the quality of the stock.
CHORIZO MINESTRONE SOUP
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 chorizo sausage, roughly diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1⁄4 cabbage, shredded
- 3 to 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 cans tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 2L chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan
- In a large stock pot, heat oil and butter on medium heat. Add chorizo and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the onion and garlic and fry until soft then add the carrot and potato. Cover with lid for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, cabbage and celery, cover for 3 to 4 minutes then add undrained tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with some shaved parmesan and crusty bread.
IN THE KNOW LIKE A PRO
Make incredibly delicious winter meals by investing some time into making your own stock in big batches and then portion it off and freeze it. You will be amazed at how many winter recipes call for stock.
Recipe by Ana Pires, Kitchen Warehouse team member.