Christmas ice cream cake is a delightful dessert to add to your menu. This recipe combines the much-loved Christmas cake with everyone’s favourite summer treat, ice cream, for a reinvented dessert that will bring renewed excitement to your Christmas feast.
Nothing beats a dish that combines two desserts in one after all. In this case, it’s raspberry ice cream sandwiched in between two layers of Christmas cake. This recipe makes four ice cream sandwiches, but you can always double it and make it ahead, just in time for the family Christmas party.
- 31cm x 1cm Le Creuset toughened non-stick baking sheet (or any baking sheet of the same size)
- 32cm Le Creuset rectangular dish (or any freezer-safe dish of the same size)
- Digital weighing scale
- Measuring spoons
- Food processor
- Silicone spatula
- Microwave-safe mixing bowls (glass or stoneware)
- Parchment or baking paper
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Bread knife
- Cooling rack
Note: Double this recipe to make two sheet cakes.
- 200g dates, chopped and blended
- 150g butter, melted
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 260g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 200g flour
- 150g roasted almonds, chopped
- 150g dried cranberries
Ice cream cake filling
- 1.5L good quality vanilla ice cream, slightly thawed
- 400g fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced).
- Grease and line a 31cm x 31cm x 1cm Le Creuset toughened non-stick baking sheet with parchment or baking paper.
- In a food processor, blend dates into a caramel.
- Melt butter in a microwave and add the cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Place the sugar, eggs, spice, and flour in a bowl.
- Add the date caramel and butter cocoa mixture to the flour mixture. Mix to incorporate all ingredients. Spread out evenly on the baking tray about 1cm thick.
- Sprinkle over some almonds and cranberries. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Leave aside to cool completely, while you make another batch to give you two thin layers of Christmas cake.
- Slightly thaw the ice cream and mix in raspberries.
- Line the bottom of the 32cm Le Creuset rectangular dish with baking paper. Cut one of the layers of cake to size to fit in the bottom of the dish nicely and snugly, pressing in to secure.
- Spread over the raspberry ice cream to an even layer before topping with the other layer of Christmas cake. Press to secure before freezing overnight. Slice with a hot knife to serve.
If you love making ice cream from scratch, this coconut ice cream with raspberry swirl recipe will definitely taste better when turned into ice cream cake sandwich!
Recipe and images adapted from Le Creuset.