What’s not to love about donuts? Freshly made, with a doughy centre and crispy on the outside. To make such perfection at home its important to have the right tools and right technique for the job, and for donuts deep frying is the way to go.
- 1 1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Whisk together the flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, sugar, butter, and milk in a large-sized bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly. The batter will be sticky, so either use a spoon or a pastry bag to extrude the dough for frying.
- Fill deep fryer with oil and heat to approx. 165-170 degrees. When the oil is hot, extrude a ball of dough, approximately an inch in diameter, into the oil.
- Fry the donuts until they are golden brown, approx 3 mins, then remove them and place them on a paper towel. If the oil is too hot, the donuts will brown before they are cooked through, so it is a good idea to sample a couple as you go along and adjust the heat accordingly.
- While the donuts are still hot, drop them into a bowl with half a cup of sugar and a few sprinklings of cinnamon. Move the donuts around until they are well-coated.