This classic Beef Bourguignon recipe is the perfect dish to make if you have a crowd to feed or if you are simply craving a hearty, filling meal. This well-known French dish consists of a number of ingredients, some of which you can alter or replace according to your preference.
The recipe below features beef chucks braised in red wine and made more flavourful with aromatic herbs, shallots, carrots and mushrooms. Best served with mashed potato, this classic French beef stew will keep you coming back for more!
PREP TIME: 25 Minutes
COOK TIME: 2.5 Hours
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 kg. beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pcs
- 1 large onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 rashers of rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp. plain flour
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 200g button mushrooms
- 5 shallots, peeled, halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large, flameproof casserole dish, heat 1/2 tbsp. of oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef, in batches, for 4-5 minutes or until brown on all sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove beef from heat and transfer to a large bowl or plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the dish over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic and bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Put the beef back into the dish. Add the flour and tomato paste, stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the wine, stirring constantly until mixed well.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover and transfer the dish into the oven and bake for 2 hours or until the beef becomes tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the mushrooms and shallots and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the shallots soften.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Add the mushroom mixture to the beef stew, together with the carrots, then bake for another 30minutes or until the meat is very tender.
- Sprinkle in the parsley, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with mashed potato.