Easy, prep 30 mins, cook 45 mins, Serves 9
Silky smooth and with only 180 calories per serve, you can enjoy without worrying about your waistline
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 300g carrots, chopped
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 5tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp sugar
- 2tbsp red or white wine
- 4x400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500g passata
- 3 cubes vegetable stock
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 Fry onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and bay leaves in a big casserole dish until onions are softened (about 15 minutes). In the meantime, boil the kettle.
- Stir in rest of the ingredients, except milk, add 1l of boilng water, cover and simmer for 15 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
- Remove bay leaves and puree with a stick blender until smooth (or transfer into a blender in batches).
- Season to taste. At this stage, the soup can be cooled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, or freezer for 3 months.
- To serve, reheat the soup and stir in the milk. Enjoy!
- For something different, try to seve the soup as a ‘Bloody Mary’ soup – just add the usual suspects – but remember to leave out the vodka for the kids!