Warm up this winter with our take on a classic. This super comforting and creamy tomato soup recipe is the perfect excuse to stay snuggled up on the couch and even comes with a side of enticing pesto toast. See, we’ve thought of everything!
The rain is falling, the kettle is on; all that’s left to do is watch this quick little how-to video. If that doesn’t get you in the mood to make this creamy tomato soup recipe, we’re not sure what will!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 x 400g tins of cherry tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
For the pesto toast:
- Fresh sourdough bread, sliced
- Balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Basil pesto, to spread
- Shaved parmesan, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Drizzle olive oil into a roasting pan and add fresh tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, leek, and garlic.
- Follow with a sprinkle of salt and pepper then cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Add the sliced bread to a heated griddle and top with a splash of balsamic, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Flip the bread over and add a dab of pesto. Set aside.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and transfer them into a stock pot, adding in the tinned tomatoes and stock.
- Give it a good stir and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Using a stick blender, pulse the soup to your desired texture. Add a splash of olive oil and a fistful of fresh basil leaves then blitz until smooth.
- Top off your pesto toast with a sprinkle of shaved parmesan to serve alongside the soup.
Enjoyed this creamy tomato soup recipe?
Up next, we have…