Perfect for any occasion or a simple dinner with the family, roast chicken and veg is always a crowd pleaser. Butter, garlic, and lemon give the chicken a rich flavour, while the veggies cook away in healthy, aromatic olive oil.
All the more interesting is the non-stick Wolstead Superior+ cookware set we used. It comes with a 1L base roaster and a grill pan that doubles as a lid. Both can be used on any stovetop and in the oven. The large roaster is deep enough to fit a whole chicken while the grill pan makes a functional roasting pan for the veggies, making it perfect for this recipe.
- Wolstead Superior+ Roaster & Grill Set
- Paper towel
- Small bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Oven mitts
- Cutting board
- Carving knife
- Fat separator
For the chicken
- 1.8kg free range chicken
- 50g soft butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, and minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon
- ¾ cup water
For the vegetables
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into medium strips or chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 parsnips, peeled and cut into medium strips or chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- Olive oil
For the gravy sauce
- 4 tbsp gravy granules (alternatively cornstarch or flour)
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Combine butter, minced garlic, and salt in a small bowl to create a paste. Rub the butter paste all over the chicken, ensuring to coat every inch under the skin and inside the cavity for a maximum garlic taste.
- When finished, stuff the cavity with a lemon cut in half. This will render the chicken a delicious flavour.
- Place the chicken in the Wolstead Superior+ 1L base roaster and pour ¾ cup of water into the pan. Cook the chicken in the oven for about 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scatter the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, and onions in the Wolstead Superior+ Grill Pan, covering the vegetables in olive oil.
- After the first 45 minutes of roasting, place the grill pan with vegetables into the oven to cook together with the chicken.
- When chicken is cooked through after 90 minutes, remove it from the oven. Leave the vegetables to roast a little longer if preferred.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. Use the pan drippings in the roaster, skimming off the excess fat with a paper towel. The paper should absorb some of the fat that has risen to the top, leaving only the flavourful juices. You may alternatively use a fat separator for ease.
- Next, dissolve gravy granules into ½ cup of water to make a thin paste. This will help thicken your gravy.
- Put the roaster on the stovetop on medium heat. Add the paste and whisk until the juices are well incorporated. Season to taste and simmer until thick.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Once ready, serve the chicken with gravy and roasted veggies.