Satisfy your sweet tooth with a spoonful or two of creamy custard made from scratch. Quick and easy to make, this custard recipe only needs a few basic pantry ingredients. The best part is, it goes well with just about any dessert, from puddings to pies to ice cream.
This custard recipe was shared by one of our favourite bloggers, Stay at Home Mum Jody Allen. Check out her blog for more delicious recipes.
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Mix the egg yolks, cornflour, and sugar together in a jug or bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla over low heat until warm (not hot). Keep an eye on your milk as it can overheat quickly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat then add the warm milk to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly until boiling.
- Take the saucepan off the heat when the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (if mixture isn’t thickening, gently heat it again).
- Serve your homemade custard hot or cold with any dessert of your choice.
- If serving your custard cold, cover it with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Warming the milk using a double boiler can help prevent the bottom from scorching.
- Custard is traditionally mixed with vanilla but you can always add other flavouring agents. Try infusing your warm milk with citrus zest or pouring it into some chopped chocolate before adding it to your egg mixture.
- Top your baked apple pie with this creamy custard to make it even more delicious.