Treat yourself and your guests to a wonderful tea party with these mouth-watering profiteroles with chocolate sauce. Whether it’s for morning or afternoon tea, high tea or just any other party, serving delectable profiteroles with creamy filling and topped with warm chocolate sauce will never fail to impress!
This Profiteroles with Chocolate Sauce recipe requires a bit of preparation, so if you want convenience you can bake the profiteroles and make the chocolate sauce several hours in advance, adding the filling just before serving. For the filling, you can choose the standard whipped cream or crème Chantilly, make your own crème patissiere, or simply use chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 60 Minutes
- 1 cup water
- 80g butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- For chocolate sauce: 200g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 2 tbsps butter
- Preheat oven to 210C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine water and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted.
- Reduce the heat, then pour in the flour and salt all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the flour mixture has formed a ball and pulled away from the side of the pan.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Spoon the egg mixture into a pastry bag equipped with a plain, straight tip.
- Pipe the mixture into small balls, around 3 cm apart, on the baking tray.
- Wet your finger with water and smooth the top of each ball for a rounder result.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the balls are puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Pierce the base of each profiterole big enough for a 5 mm piping bag nozzle to fit.
- Spoon your chosen filling into a piping bag fitted with 5 mm nozzle, then pipe in the filling through the hole of each profiterole.
- Place the profiteroles in serving plates. Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce and serve.
- To make chocolate sauce: Combine chocolate, thickened cream and butter in a separate saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring continuously with a metal spoon, for 5 minutes or until the chocolate has melted and the sauce is smooth and well combined.