These quick and easy chicken fajitas with homemade corn tortillas are a great midweek meal the whole family can get involved in. Making your own tortillas is a real game changer here – once you’ve tried these, there’s no going back to the store bought version. Throw the meat and veges on the grill, whip up a side of guacamole or salsa, and wrap it all up in your homemade corn tortillas!
Homemade Corn Tortillas
Creating the tortillas is as simple as making the dough, shaping it into balls and then using the press to flatten and cook them.
- 2 cups masa harina
- Very warm water
- Place masa harina in a large bowl adding a touch of salt and mix well.
- Add the water slowly kneading as you add the water.
- Keep kneading until nice and pliable. If dough feels too dry, add more water.
Pressing the tortillas
- Prepare the press with 2 sheets of freezer bag plastic.
- Make a ball the size of a plum. Place the masa ball in the centre and place another plastic sheet on top. Close the tortilla press, pressing gently down.
Cooking the tortillas
- Peel the uncooked tortilla carefully, resting on half of your hand and the other half dangling down. Lay the tortilla on the hot grill.
- Start pressing the next tortilla.
- Go back to the tortilla that is cooking and flip 3 times (every 20 seconds).
- Remove the cooked tortilla from the hot pan and wrap in a tea towel to keep warm.
- Repeat process.
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Mixing bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring spoons
- Victoria Cast Iron Reversible Griddle/Grill or Grill Pan
- 2 chicken breasts sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced (to taste)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4-5 drops tabasco sauce
- 6 medium homemade tortillas
- Sliced red cabbage or greens
- Guacamole and/or fresh salsa
- Heat oven to 180C to warm tortillas
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and season
- Add chicken breasts, sliced red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper and finely sliced red chilli into the marinade.
- Heat a cast iron griddle, skillet or grill until smoking hot – cast iron is the best for heat and add the chicken and marinade to the pan.
- Using tongs move ingredients over a high heat for about 5 mins until you get a nice charred effect. If your griddle pan is small you may need to do this in two batches.
- Serve with the warmed tortillas, cooked chicken, greens, guacamole and/or fresh salsa.
Recipe by Kitchen Warehouse
Looking for more recipes to go with your fajitas? Check these out: