Baking the perfect chocolate cake can be a daunting task, even for experienced bakers. As such, we’ve listed an easy chocolate cake recipe that’s moist and delicious and goes well with any of your favourite frosting – basic chocolate, chocolate fudge, buttercream or vanilla frosting.
The cake may look runny after mixing all the ingredients, but rest assured that it bakes beautifully. It’s also easy to modify as desired. For instance, spread raspberry filling between layers and finish with a whipped cream–cream cheese frosting. Enjoy this easy chocolate cake recipe and happy baking!
An easy chocolate cake recipe that’s delicious and goes well with any of your favourite frosting: basic chocolate, chocolate fudge, or vanilla frosting.
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 30 Minutes
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 400 g white sugar
- 65 g unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 235 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 235 ml hot, strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, white sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla and mix just until smooth.
- Stir in hot coffee.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.