Decadent truffles make great holiday gifts. They are delicious, easy to make your own, and lovely no matter what packaging you choose. This basic recipe makes about 60 truffles, ready to enjoy or wrap in an hour.
A Christmas dessert favourite, decadent truffles can also be flavoured with various oils or extracts. Complement these add-on flavours with coatings of nuts, candy, or more chocolate. Give this basic recipe a go then experiment with our flavouring tips below.
- Hand mixer
- Digital weighing scale
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Silicone spatula
- Melon baller
- 225g (1 cup) cream cheese
- 375g (1½ cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 500g (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- Coating of your choice (ground nuts, cocoa, candy sprinkles, etc.)
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese using a hand mixer until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the icing sugar until well blended.
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix well with a silicone spatula.
- Refrigerate for about an hour.
- Shape the mixture into about 3cm balls. You can use a small scoop or melon baller.
- Roll truffles in the coating of your choice.
Using this basic truffle recipe, you can also add flavourings to the chocolate before forming it into balls. Here are some ideas you can try:
- ALMOND TRUFFLES: Replace vanilla extract in the recipe with almond extract, then roll the formed truffles in crushed almonds.
- TOFFEE TRUFFLES: Replace vanilla extract in the recipe with rum extract, then roll the formed truffles in toffee bits.
- MINT TRUFFLES: Replace vanilla extract in the recipe with mint oil, then drizzle formed truffles with melted green chocolate.
- COFFEE TRUFFLES: Add a teaspoon of instant coffee granules to the mixture, then roll the formed truffles in cappuccino powder.
- EXTRA CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES: Stick milk chocolate chips in the centre of the formed truffle, then drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- PEANUT BUTTER TRUFFLES: Stick peanut butter chips in the centre of the formed truffle, then drizzle with melted peanut butter chips.
If you prefer less decadent truffles, read our Ganache 101 article and learn how you can make equally delicious truffles with plain cream.