Kids (and kids at heart) are sure to hoppily gobble up these vegan carrot cakes. They’re an absolute treat, and we promise no one will even guess they’re eating vegetables.
The aromatic spices in this easy vegan carrot cake recipe are intoxicating. Be warned that you will have everyone running, and waiting, in the kitchen. Bake them in a mini bundt tin or a regular cupcake or friand pan and the best part is, once you master this recipe, you’ll use it all through the year.
- Mini bundt tin (or muffin and friand pans)
- Stand mixer
- Food processor with grater attachment (or box grater)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Citrus juicer
- Mixing bowls
- Cooling rack
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal paste (see notes below for preparation)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
- 2.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 lemon or orange, juiced and zested
- Water, to thin out the glaze if needed
- Fondant carrots to decorate
- Set the oven to 180C and spray the bundt tin thoroughly with oil.
- Put all the cake ingredients (apart from the grated carrots) in the stand mixer bowl then mix on medium speed until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, add the carrots and mix it all together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into each mini bundt tin to three-fourths full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack or tray.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the icing sugar, lemon or orange juice and water in a bowl until smooth. Glaze should be thick but pourable. Add more icing sugar or water as needed. Make sure to keep it covered to prevent the glaze from setting.
- Drizzle your vegan carrot cakes with glaze and top with citrus zest or handmade, edible, vegan-friendly fondant carrots. These are very easy to make with orange fondant and a rosemary sprig from the garden.
- To make your flaxseed paste, pour the flaxseed meal into a small bowl, add 6 tablespoons of warm water and mix it together until you have a paste (this paste acts as a binder in baking, similar to an egg).
- For extra detail on your fondant decor, dip a small knife in cocoa to add the dirt marks along the carrot.
- Need more healthy carrot cake recipes? These carrot cupcakes can be easily modified into a gluten-free treat.