- Whole chicken
- Olive Oil
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Tarragon or Sage
- Combine all ingredients into food processor and combine
- OR crumb bread into bowl, add remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Remove chicken from packaging and wipe with paper towel
- Remove giblets if they are included
- Insert the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken as tightly as possible
- Weigh chicken for cooking time (needs to be weighed after stuffing)
- Lay the chicken breast side up on the roasting pan
- Pour oil generously over chicken and wipe all over
- Spread plenty of salt evenly over chicken for a crisp skin
- Place chicken in middle rack of oven
- Turn on timer according to weight of oven (see cooking times and temperature chart)
- 10 minutes before chicken is cooked remove chicken from oven and slice legs so they fall open
- Return to oven until cooking time is complete.
- Place chicken on carving board and make gravy with pan juices
- Slice or carve into pieces and serve with an array of roast vegetables
How to test if chicken is cooked:
Fork or Skewer: Pierce chicken with skewer or fork – if juices run clear meat is cooked.
Meat Thermometer: Pierce chicken with probe and read dial.
You can roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, peppers, onion and garlic for a tasty accompaniment to your roast chicken.