Celebrate Australia Day with ginger beer! This cocktail recipe yields two mugs and perfectly complements your traditional Australian barbie. Time to put your blender to work and get ready to enjoy this drink’s refreshing ginger and lemon flavour. Cheers!
No festive Australia Day celebration is complete without the classic barbecue, pavlova, meat pies, lamingtons, and cold beer on the table. Step it up a notch by serving these homemade gin-ger beer cocktails. The best part is, this recipe requires no fermentation or complicated prep.
- Vitamix blender (or any blender)
- Digital scale
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife or peeler
- Citrus juicer
- Kitchen spoon
- Beer mugs or tumblers
- 360ml (1½ cup) water
- 200g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 150g (1¼ cup) fresh ginger root, chopped
Ginger Beer Cocktail
- 75ml (5 tbsp) lemon juice
- 75ml (⅓ cup) ginger syrup
- 45ml gin
- 70g (½ cup) ice cubes
- 150ml ale beer
For the ginger syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, and ginger.
- Heat to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain and chill.
For the ginger beer cocktail:
- Place lemon juice, ginger syrup, gin, and ice cubes into the Vitamix container in the order listed. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn the blender on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 15 seconds.
- Pour into a large mug or glass over ice and top with 150ml ale. Stir and serve.
- If using a different blender, simply blend the ingredients until everything is thoroughly mixed.
Need tips for more delicious barbecues? Read this article on how to add BBQ flavour with charcoal and rub.
Recipe and image are adapted from Vitamix.