A little sugar, and a little spice these Gingerbread cookies are oh, so nice!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar, molasses, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves to boiling point, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in soda.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- With a fork, stir in egg, then flour.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until mixed. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, slightly thinner than 1cm or ¼ inch.
- Use cutters to cutout shapes needed.
- Bake at 170 C on a cookie sheet for 12 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate using Royal icing or as you desire.
*Handy Hint: Cut out a small hole in each shape before baking and you have yourself a tree ornament!