Hearty and delicious, this Chilli Con Carne recipe will satisfy your taste buds in a big way!
Rich with taste, chilli con carne is great for those times when you have a lot of people to feed. You can create big portions easily and pair it with a range of sides. We’ve gone with rice in this recipe, but jacket-potatoes, garlic bread, bread rolls and even crackers pair fantastically with the delicious flavours abundant in this recipe.
Chilli Con Carne
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 410 g red kidney beans
- Plain boiled long grain rice, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Place your pan over a medium heat and add in the oil to heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and slightly translucent in colour.
- Add in garlic, red pepper, chilli powder, paprika and ground cumin.
- Stir thoroughly and leave to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat up on the pan and add in the minced beef, making sure to stir and prod meat for approximately 5 minutes.
- For the sauce: crumble the beef stock cube into 300 ml hot water and pour into mince mixture.
- Add in tomatoes, sugar and tomato puree, stirring well.
- Bring sauce to boil, stir well before turning down heat and placing lid on top.
- Allow to gently bubble for 20 minutes stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick.
- Stir in kidney beans.
- Bring to boil again and allow to gently bubble without lid for 10 minutes, adding in a little water if mixture starts to dry.
- Replace the lid, turn off the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving with rice and sour cream.
Give this crowd-pleasing recipe a go and tell us what you think in the comment section below!