You know you need a good beef stew recipe in your archive. and this Hearty French Oven Beef Stew won’t disappoint.
It’s a trusted dish that’s warm and comforting – something you’d be glad to go home to at the end of the day. What’s more, everything is prepared in a single pot, and with the addition of rice, bread or noodles, you have a complete meal.
Grab your French oven and start cooking this rich beef stew recipe we have below.
French Oven Beef Stew
- 900 g beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut in eighths
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 340 ml tomato juice
- 120 ml dry cooking sherry
- 55 g quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 225 g green beans, ends trimmed and cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 150 C.
- Combine beef, onions, celery and carrots in a large French oven. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato juice, sherry, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper and basil.
- Pour mixture over the beef.
- Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 2 ½ hours, stirring thoroughly every half hour.
- Add potatoes and continue baking for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add green beans and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until beans and potatoes soften, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with bread or rice.