Creamy and chocolatey, this delicious homemade Chocolate Swiss Roll is the perfect antidote for your sweet tooth craving! A classic sweet treat choice for an afternoon, morning or high tea, this dessert sets itself apart with its eye-catching presentation.
Rolled into a circular shape with cream swirled through, the recipe is still remarkably easy to make, though the rolling can be a bit fiddly the first time around if you’re not well prepared. In order to make this process as easy as possible, make sure to be generous with the baking paper you lay down. Once you’ve mastered the rolling trick (you’ll be surprised how easy it is!), you’ll love whipping this dessert out to ‘wow’ your guests.
It is ready in under 30 minutes, though we do recommend allowing the Chocolate Swiss Roll to chill in the fridge 15 minutes prior to serving so it really sets, however if you simply can’t wait it can be served immediately too!
Chocolate Swiss Roll
SERVINGS: 8 – 10
PREP TIME: 25 Minutes
COOK TIME: 10 Minutes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 tblsp cocoa
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup and 1 tblsp of icing sugar
- 2 heaped tsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp (approx) vanilla essence
- 1 tblsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease a Swiss roll pan (32cm by 22cm) and line the base with baking paper, making sure to extend the paper over edges.
- Using electric beaters, beat together the eggs and caster sugar until consistency is thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa using a metal spoon and gently fold into the eggs and sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cake is just set.
- Meanwhile, place a clean tea towel on the kitchen bench and cover with baking paper and sprinkle with remaining caster sugar.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool slightly and then turn it out onto the sugar.
- Roll the cake up from the short side so the paper rolls inside the cake.
- Stand the rolled cake on a wire rack for 5 minutes and then carefully unroll and allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the cream over the cake leaving a 3cm border all the way around.
- Re-roll the cake without the paper and place the cake seam-side down on a serving plate.
- To make the chocolate icing: sift remaining icing sugar and cocoa together.
- Add in butter and a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Add in boiling water and beat well.
- Spread evenly over Swiss roll and refrigerate or serve immediately.
Try this delicious dessert recipe for yourself and let us know what you thought in the comment section below!