Which Dad doesn’t love a hearty fry-up for breakfast, complete with bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, and a nice hot cup of tea? And to make your sausages special for Father’s Day, give the Mad Millie Sausage Making Kit a go. Nothing beats homemade snags after all!
- Digital weighing scale
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Mad Millie Sausage Making Kit
- Pastry brush
- Alternatively, you can also use your KitchenAid Stand Mixer fitted with the Food Grinder/Mincer Attachment and Sausage Stuffer Tubes.
- Frypan or skillet
- 520g lean pork
- 280g lean beef
- 200g soft sinew free fat (pork fat works well)
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ½ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (drained)
- Sausage casing
- Vegetable oil for frying
Mincing your sausage meat
- Follow the instructions on how to assemble your mincer.
- Prepare your meat for grinding by trimming off all gristle and cutting it into 3cm cubes.
- For easier grinding, place the cubed meat in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Feed meat into the mincer, turning the handle clockwise (or turning on the motor of your stand mixer).
- Push the mince through the grinder with the meat plunger. In a bowl, combine the minced meat with your chosen seasonings and flavourings.
- Cook a small sample in a frying pan to taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place meat in the freezer for another 30 minutes before forming it into sausages.
Forming your sausages
- Reassemble the mincer with the sausage stuffing attachment.
- Cut 3m of sausage casing for every 1kg of meat.
- Fit the casing over the sausage stuffing attachment.
- Feed the sausage meat into the mincer until casing is full, turning the handle evenly and holding the sausage coming out of the other end.
- Prick any air bubbles with a toothpick. Tie a knot on both ends of the casing.
- Lubricate the sausage with water using a light spray or pastry brush.
- Twist the sausage into individual sausages at the size you wish.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let flavours develop.
Cooking your sausages
- To ensure that your sausages are cooked all the way through, fill a saucepan with enough water to cover the sausages. Cook the sausages to a gentle simmer at medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Take the sausages out of the water and let them drain. Grease your frypan with a little bit of oil. Sear your sausages to crisp up the outside. Serve them with eggs, tomatoes, bacon, and beans.