When it comes to a quick and easy breakfast idea, a boiled egg might seem like a straight forward choice, but have a crack (sorry, not sorry) and you will quickly discover the results can vary greatly. So, how do you boil an egg?
Egg Boiling Time
|EGG SIZE||CHILLED EGG||ROOM TEMP|
|LARGE||6 minutes||5 minutes|
|SMALL||4 minutes||3 minutes|
So when you pop your timer on make sure you allow extra or should we say eggstra time for larger eggs and for eggs that have come from the fridge. If soft eggs are not for you the general rule of thumb is to add an extra 3 minutes cooking time or use the diagram below for rough guide:
If this all seems a bit too hard, you have lost your timer or your phone has gone flat, give the Burton Egg Perfect Colour coded egg timer a crack. Simply place in the pot and it will indicate when the egg reaches soft, medium or hard by changing colour. Just like magic the job is done and no technology is required.
How to Boil an Egg
Sounds silly but here we go!
- 1 tbsp Salt or Vinegar
- Fill a saucepan 3/4 full with water
- Bring water to boil
- Add salt or vinegar to pan to prevent egg cracking
- Test egg freshness by sitting in bowl of water – see below
- Lower egg into pan in slotted spoon – If boiling more than one egg try and immerse them as close to the same time as possible
- Set timer OR Immerse colour coded egg timer and leave until colour changes to required hardness
- When the correct time has passed remove egg immediately from the water with a slotted spoon and set into an egg cup
Most importantly ENJOY this simple pleasure served with buttered toast and freshly ground pepper and salt. Yummo
Sometimes it is hard to tell how old your eggs are! For the best poached and boiled eggs you need them to be fresh. This is an easy test to follow to work out whether your egg is fresh. Place in bowl or glass of water
The low down is:
Fresh = Lays on Side (egg on left)
Eat Soon = Stands upright on bottom
Yuk Don’t Eat = Floats to top (egg on right)
Without taking away any accolades from our humble boiled egg we need to talk poached eggs. Watch our video for simple tips on how to cook perfect poached eggs that will have you cooking cafe style in no time …. with or without your smashed avocado! We put the challenge out to you to make poached eggs served anyway. View our video for details.