There’s no denying it. Australians love their pasta. Along with toilet paper, it was the first thing to fly off the shelves in the wake of lockdown panic.
Dried pasta is convenient and, dressed with the right sauce, it can even be delicious. But if you have never tried fresh pasta, you haven’t lived.
Learning to make your own means you will never be without, regardless of what’s happening in the supermarkets.
Kitchen Warehouse welcomes expert pasta maker Vincenzo Velletri into the kitchen to share his secrets of making Fresh Handmade Pasta. His recipe his available below to download.
Fresh Homemade Pasta Dough Recipe
- 900g of special pasta flour – from Italian gourmet shops
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Cold water as needed
- Digital scale
- Measuring spoons
- Electric mixer with a kneading attachment
- Bench scraper
- Pasta machine and pasta cutter
- Pasta pot
- Place all of the ingredients in an electric mixer with the kneading attachment. Mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, it should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal portions depending on the volume of ingredients.
- Form into a ball and let sit, covered, for 1/2 an hour to an hour.
- Unwrap the dough and flatten using the palm of your hand to form a rectangular piece.
- Adjust the roller setting so it is at a thick setting and pass the dough through 5 to 6 times. Each time it passes through, fold in the shorter sides of the dough to meet in the centre to form a smaller rectangle and feed through the machine again until smooth.
- Repeat the above process but each time reduce the roller setting by 1 until the dough is 1 to 1.5mm thick.
- Trim the edges to make an even rectangular sheet. You are now ready to make the type of pasta you want. If you plan on making fettucine with a pasta maker you will need to change the roller to the fettucine cutter. Place your rectangular sheet through the roller.
- To make green pasta: Measure ¼ cup of blanched spinach that has been well-drained and finely chopped. Add this together with the eggs.
- To make black pasta: Add 1 teaspoon or 4g (one sachet) of squid ink together with the eggs.
Cooking your pasta
1. Fill a saucepan with water then add enough salt to make it as salty as the sea. When the water begins to boil, fill a pasta basket with sliced pasta and submerge it into the water to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Fresh pasta cooks quickly so be sure to watch it closely while cooking. Remove the basket to drain.
2. Toss the cooked pasta in a simmering pasta sauce of your choice see below.
Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan.
Fettuccine with Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 480g fresh fettuccine
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 500g fresh tomatoes, diced
- Fresh basil chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Roll the dough in the pasta machine then use the pasta cutter to make fettuccine.
- Cook fettuccine in a large pot with boiling salted water.
- Meanwhile, in a frypan, put some extra virgin olive oil with garlic and leave to lightly brown.
- Add diced fresh tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. Season with salt, add basil then drain the pasta and mix in the frypan, tossing for about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with some fresh ground pepper and extra basil to garnish.