There is just something about Red Velvet Cupcakes that are so enticing and indulgent. From their vibrant colour, to delicious cream cheese icing, you know when you whip up a batch of red velvets you have a crowd pleaser on your hands!
This easy-to follow recipe is large and will make 24 cupcakes, so it’s great for when you’re entertaining or need to bring a contribution to morning tea! However, if you require a smaller batch, the recipe can easily be halved to suit your needs!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tblsp food colouring (can be adjusted)
- 1 tblsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tblsp vanilla extract
For cream cheese icing, 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and line 2 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, gently beat together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla with a hand-held electric mixer.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcakes tins and bake for 20 – 22 minutes, making sure to turn the pans around once at the halfway point.
- Use a fork to test cupcakes are cooked and remove from oven.
- For the cream cheese icing, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and on a low speed, beat until incorporated.
- Increase the speed to high and mix until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Ice cupcakes (only when cooled completely) with a butter knife or piping bag.
Try this scrumptious recipe for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below.