Here’s your chance to finally wave farewell to store-bought yoghurt. Making your own and being in total control of everything that goes into it can be an exciting prospect. Cut down on sugar and nasties and turn up the volume on healthy, fresh superfoods like berries.
This cashew yoghurt recipe is easier to make than you think. It comes together with only a few ingredients and the help of a trusty Instant Pot.
This recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare but you’ll have to give it time to ferment and thicken. We recommend making it overnight to cut back on waiting time. It yields four to six servings of plain yogurt that’s delicious on its own or you can throw in your own fresh additions (see recipe notes below for something sweeter).
- Instant Pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Silicone spatula, for scraping
- Fine-mesh strainer
- Six 125ml preserving jars
- 1 cup whole raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 ½ tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup or light-coloured raw honey
- 1 dairy-free and gluten-free probiotic capsule, 50 billion IU, discard the capsule casing
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the cashews in a large mixing bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Soak for 30 minutes, then drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place half-cup filtered water in a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Set aside to let the gelatin bloom for 10 minutes.
- Place the cashews in a blender with the remaining filtered water. Blend on high speed until smooth, about a minute. Scrape down the sides if needed and blend again, until very smooth.
- Place the saucepan with the gelatin over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly to dissolve the gelatin. Turn the heat to medium and add the cashew liquid. Heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until it reaches 49C, about 5 minutes; do not let it boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool to 43C, about 15 minutes. Whisk in the maple syrup and the probiotic powder. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into six clean 125ml jars and secure the lids.
- Pour two cups of lukewarm water into the Instant Pot and place the wire rack at the bottom. Place the jars on the rack and lock the lid in place. Press the Yoghurt function and ferment for 12 to 16 hours. The longer you leave the yogurt, the sourer it will become.
- Place the jars in the refrigerator for 4 hours, or up to 5 days, to allow the gelatin to set and the yogurt to thicken. Whisk the yogurt well for a creamy consistency before eating.
- To make fruit-flavored yogurt, stir in two tablespoons of a fresh fruit puree of your choice per jar before chilling in the fridge. Popular choices include strawberry, peach, blueberry, and banana-mango.
Discover easy cooking with Instant Pot and find more recipes here.
Recipe and image were adapted from Instant Pot.