The only way to make your meal in half the time is with, of course, an Instant Pot. We’re sharing this Mexican Tortilla soup plus a rice pudding brulee to help you get that supper on the table in less time but with more fun.
Try this quick and easy dinner recipe from our favourite cookbook author and recipe developer Tenina Holder, and put your Instant Pot to the test. Quick and easy meals with a fraction of the effort!
Mexican Tortilla Soup Recipe
For the soup
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- A handful fresh oregano
- A handful fresh Coriander (plus some more for serving)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, cubed
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 limes, juiced
- Fresh corn, charred, cut from the cob
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1-2 kumatoes, chopped roughly
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1-2 sliced avocado
- ¼ cabbage, shredded
- Coriander leaves
- 1 pack plain corn chips
- Creme fraiche
- Chop garlic, oregano, coriander, chilli, and onion. Place inside the Instant Pot then add cumin and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add remaining ingredients except for accompaniments. Seal and cook on the Poultry setting for 15 minutes.
- Serve ladled over all accompaniments in large bowls with corn chips and creme fraiche on the side.
Rice Pudding Brulee Recipe
- Instant Pot
- Digital scale
- Measuring jug
- Measuring spoons
- Mortar and pestle
- Wooden spoon
- Serving bowls or ramekins
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- A pinch pink salt flakes
- 150g golden caster sugar (approx)
- A lemon’s zest, finely grated
- An orange’s zest, finely grated
- 150g arborio rice
- 500g coconut cream
- 500ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Slow roasted almonds to serve (see note)
- Place spices, salt and 50g of the sugar into a mortar and pestle and grind together. Tip mixture into your Instant Pot.
- Zest lemon into the Instant Pot and add rice. Stir.
- Add the coconut cream, water and vanilla into the Instant Pot and give it all a good stir to combine.
- Cook on rice setting for 12 to 15 minutes until rice is creamy and soft.
- Divide between serving bowls or ramekins.
- Top with the remaining sugar and brulee with a torch or use the grill function of your oven.
- Serve with the slow-roasted almonds.
To slow roast the almonds, place approximately 50 grams of blanched almonds onto a baking tray and into a cold oven set to 160C for 25 to 30 minutes until fragrant and crunchy. Chop or serve whole.
Recipes and images were adapted from cookbook author and recipe developer Tenina Holder.