A little bit of imagination can transform leftovers from blah to woah! Take, for example, day-old rice. With the flick of a switch (on your trusty Instant Pot) and some additional ingredients, you can turn it into Thai Pineapple Fried Rice—what a delight!
And one of the things we love about this clever recipe is that the firmer the texture of your rice, the better it is for sauteing.
Pair it with our delicious Thai-style Green Chicken Curry, and we bet it’ll be your next favourite dish.
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 3 tbsp cashews
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions, white parts only
- 2 green Thai chiles, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 4 tbsp fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped and divided
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup steamed short-grain white rice, preferably a day old
- 1 ¼ cups water
- Press the Sauté function and pour in oil into the Instant Pot inner pot. When the display reads “Hot,” add the cashews and use a wooden spoon to stir for one minute. Add the onion, scallions, and chiles, and sauté for three to four minutes, until the onion is translucent. Mix in the pineapple. Add two tablespoons of basil, curry powder, turmeric, soy sauce, and salt. Pour in the rice and water, then mix again. Press Cancel to turn off the Sauté function. Note: Do not use the pressure cooker lid when sautéing. If you have not pressed Cancel, the cooker will automatically enter standby mode after 30 minutes.
- To cook the rice, lock the lid into place and press the Pressure Cook function. Set pressure on High and time to three minutes. Ensure the steam release knob is in the Sealed position.
- After cooking, let the pot sit for three minutes, then turn the steam release knob into Venting position to quickly release any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid. Let the rice cool for 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice then serve while hot.
Discover easy cooking with Instant Pot and find more recipes here.
Recipe and image were adapted from Instant Pot.